My thoughts on the iPhone 5 rumours
So the new sixth gen iPhone (aka the iPhone 5) rumours are doing over time now. There's all sorts of talk and specs flying about, some of which is based on apparently leaked info and “prototype” bits of phone.
I’m sure some of the new predicted features will appear in the new iPhone. It can't all be wrong otherwise, let's face it, Apple wouldn't be taking many steps forward considering there is a rumour for just about every new smart phone idea out there. But in a personal note, I do hope the new iPhone gets a bigger screen and a quad core processor.
It's this last point about the screen and the processor that concerns me the most. I personally think if Apple don't look to offer these upgrades in the new iPhone then they are missing a trick and possibly slipping behind for the first time.
Most of the rumours do suggest a bigger screen which is good but recently, they are suggesting the new iPhone is probably going to have the iPad 3 processor which is only a dual core. This really concerns me and has even caused me to start looking into the android market place for what of my fav apps are available and how I would go about migrating contacts over. If I did go to android it would be for a Galaxy S3 as that appears to be the leader and there are plenty of good contract deals available.
I realise the iPad 3 processor is good and plenty powerful enough to more than support the current apps. But buying a smart phone is often a two year affair for most people and I'm very concerned how much the developers will want to start writing apps and games for quad core phones.
I used to be a big AMD chipset fan for my pc’s but Intel seemed to make the quad core move first while AMD powered up their dual cores. I don't like having to run things hot. If you are cranking up the clock speed on a dual core to compete with a quad it's not only going to run hot, it's also going to shorten its life cycle. And it will eventually slip off the radar as the developers start realising what cool things they can do with the extra power of more cores.
So this is essentially my concern with the new iPhone. For me it will be a 24 month contract and therefore I don't want a phone that is going to be miles behind the market in 6-12 months time. My iPhone 4 has held up ok and I've not been fussed about the 4s. But this year is upgrade year and I'm really hoping Apple make it a good one. It will be painful to migrate away but I'm not happy to be locked in the “iprison” with a non market leading piece of hardware. The reason I have had an iPhone since a 3G is for the market leading tech and the market leading app store. For the premium you have to pay to get an iPhone I expect that and no less.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home