Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Tempus Event Calendar




Tempus is not a personal favourite for me as a calendar app. Initially I thought it would offer that perfect balance between Calvetica Classic and Calvetica Calendars (as its now called in the app store instead of Calvetica 4). Unfortunately it's not.
Tempus has a nice month view that's bigger and clearer than that found in Calvetica Calendars using most of the screen space on the iPhone in a similar fashion to Calvetica Classic. This was a good point in my opinion as it makes the month view easier on the eye.
Tempus has the scrolling week view in landscape mode like in Calvetica Calendars but in a black and white colour scheme. This is good in the iPad but horrible to use in iPhone due to the screen size and amount of info being crammed in. Being able to adjust the zoom level so you have to scroll up and down and bit to see the full 24hrs would be a real bonus and would make this view much better and far more usable as I found it hard to clearly identify the start and end time of events.
If you find the detail of events in Calvetice Classic of Calvetica Calendars too much, Tempus might hit the mark for you but I find it a bit too basic for me as a business user. Upon tapping a day from the month view, it takes you to a “week list” view. It doesn't show any blank time slots, just a scrolling week view list of the current evens for the working week that the selected day resides in. This is probably fine for personal and social use if it's only a handful of events each week. This, however, also means you have to use the plus button for event creation! This was a tad horrific for me as I hate being forced to used the plus button. In fact I rarely ever use it for event creation. I like being able to tap, double tap, tap and hold or whatever other flavour of placing the event directly in a time slot to create my events. The reason I'm being so fussy about this is for efficiency (aka laziness) as this generally auto populates the event time and in most good calendar apps also the duration.
That's pretty much all that separates this from Calvetica Calendars as I believe they recently pulled the task management side of things. Well that and the colour as is mainly black and white for the look of Tempus rather than red and white. It even shares the same search bug where it returns your search results in random order rather than in a logical date order.

So in summary, Tempus isn't bad calendar overall but it's more simplistic approach to managing your appointments isn’t a hit with me and as such I’m only awarding it 2.5/5 for that, the poor search functionality and the poor iPhone week view screen usage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home