iA Writer for iPhone and iPad review
![]() |
| Text Entry View as shown on itunes store |
Now it's important I mention at this point that I'm very new to writing in a simple stripped down environment. Previously I've just written straight to the blog site either via my PC or an iOS app for the blog. And those apps do work quite well it has to be said.
So coming back about iA Writer. After reading the reviews and way up the options, I decided to go with iA Writer. The two factors it came down to were price at the time of purchase (iA Writer on sale at 69p for the multi platform app) and the fact that the biggest iA Writer criticism stemmed from the iPhone app not being as good as its iPad and Mac counterparts. I'm writing this review on the iPhone version for convenience but if I were sitting on the sofa or sitting up on bed I'd most likely be using the iPad.
The main differences between the phone a tablet version are the lack of focus mode in the phone version, which is were the app darkens out all about the last couple of lines of text to minimise distraction, and the keyboard layout. There are more of the shortcuts along the top of the keyboard in the iPad version than in the iPhone and they are quite useful.
![]() |
| iPad display shot as shown on itunes store |
Those are the only issues I've experienced and read about so far.
So moving onto the writing experience. It's great, I wonder why oh why didn't I write this way before. It really does help concentrate and the writing job at hand when you have a really stripped down simple writing app in front of you. I now understand why book writers use program's like notepad to work. That's essentially what iA Writer is doing, it's taking away the options and fancy looks, whistles, bangs special fx’s and replacing them with minimalist elegance. And the aforementioned extra row on the keyboard. That row adds and helpful left and right arrow to move your curser for editing, hyphen, comma, colon, question mark, full stop and apostrophe.
I've now switched over to writing on the iPad version to list the extra buttons it adds with the larger screen space and keyboard. Here you also get a speach mark button, open close bracket button and two more buttons to move the curser for editing in addition to the arrows for next word/previous word, making it even quicker to skip back and correct a typo.
So to summarise, I don't know why I didn’t look into better ways to write before but I can definitely say that using iA Write makes writing my blogs a far more enjoyable experience than before. And as a result of getting iA Writer, I'm now considering writing a novel, it's always been on my ”someday” todo list but now it's an active project for me that I'm currently researching. While its at 69p on the app store I think it's an absolute steal and a must have app to make any kind of writing a better experience.
4.5/5 for me.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home